Are game mechanics copyright?

Hello, I’ve been developing a small wargame idea which I may share at the forthcoming Game Jam. However, it turns out that the dice combat system I’ve used is very similar to Risk. Now, despite being a tabletop wargamer I’ve never actually played Risk. My question: is the dice mechanic of Risk, or any other game, protected copyright?

B

The question of game mechanics and copyright is a bit complicated, but the simplest answer is that no, game mechanics can’t have a copyright on them, however the text which describes the game mechanics can have a copyright on it.

So you can totally use the concept of rolling multiple dice and comparing results, but you can’t copy the way the game mechanic is described from the Risk rulebook. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I’ve also since found out that large parts of my game are also similar to Memoir 44. And, here was me thinking that I had some genuinely novel ideas. :roll_eyes:

Hey buddy remember execution is everything, don’t worry about reinventing the wheel. Make the game you want to play.

4 Likes