Darguth paints Dorfs

Our newborn son is finally through a nasty sleep regression, so I finally have a small bit of free time in the evenings. The pending AOF:R rulebook has inspired me to try and put together a fully painted 1k list. I’ve been playing Warhammer for almost 30 years and don’t have “fully painted” anything, really. So this is a big goal for me! Hopefully it’ll build some momentum I can build on to go beyond just 1k. (Contrast paints are a big motivator for me to actually make some progress, too, so they’ll be featured heavily.)

The List

Rune Master [75]

• Great Weapon

Elites x10 [260]

• Command Group

Warriors x10 [110]

• Command Group
  • Great Weapons

Warriors x10 [110]

• Command Group
  • Great Weapons

Marksmen x5 (50)

Marksmen x5 (50)

Attack Helicopter (250)

• Attack Bomb

Cannon (95)

Total: 1,000

1 Like

Day 1 - Proof-of-Concept
Used a member of the Cannon crew as a proof-of-concept model for color tests. My dwarfs are from the Hold of Karak Hirn, so their primary color will be green (Ork Flesh Contrast) and their major secondary color will be brown (Snakebite Leather Contrast).

2 Likes

Day 2 - Small Goals!
Nothing finished, but made progress (which is still a big accomplishment for me!) trying to “batch” paint the remaining crew and my Runesmith. Got most of the Contrast colors down. Waiting on some new Vallejo Air metallics to arrive to finish the rest and do the basing.

Contrast paints and Dwarf beards are a match made in heaven :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Contrast paints are awesome for stuff like this. I don’t understand why gw promotes them on primaris mainly. They are the worst possible application of contrast paints. Beards, scales etc is where they truly shine

I’m pretty sure GW has long lost the capability to effectively promote anything that isn’t a part of their latest Space Marine release.

I just tried black contrast paint yesterday and to my surprise it’s actually quite awesome. This one even works on a space marine

Day 3 - Foiled By Poor Planning
I’d hoped to finish my crew and Runesmith yesterday, but my Devlan Pot from years ago finally died. So my bright metallics will need to await shade washing until I get some more, but they are otherwise done and I started on the cannon.

4 Likes

These dwarves look great. I love the earthy colours.

I’m also a big fan of the contrast paints. I’ve an ork army and all those lumps and creases are fab for contrast. I’ve described using contrast paints as just like colouring in. Ex-Games Workshop painter, Duncan Rhodes, has his own youTube channel and within the last few weeks he did a brilliant tutorial about using contrast paints. He did not advocate for the “one thick coat” but instead gave a set of nuanced advice based on the colour you’ve chosen and the size/geometry of the area you’re painting.

B

1 Like

Ya, I think the marketing push hurt in some ways more than it helped. Contrasts do simplify things, but it’s not just “one thick coat” because a lot of people take that to mean “glob on as much as you can”, which is awful.

It’s really about loading up your brush and pushing the pigment around until you’re happy with the coverage and the pooling. So there’s a bit of a learning curve to get good results with it. Also, obviously the more textured the surface the better. These work wonderfully on old school models with lots of clothing and texture. Not so much on Primaris/Sigmarines.

One of the specific bits of advice Duncan Rhodes gives is: once youve brushed over an area do not revisit it or brush over it again. Here’s the link:

B

2 Likes

Diggin’ the dwarves. So cool. Gonna have to contrast some of mine now.

Day 4 - Big-badda Boom!
Finished up the cannon except for shade-washing the gold. Replacement shades came this morning, so hopefully I can finish up this unit and hero this weekend and get them varnished. Probably will start on the Hammerers next. Though I want to print out some Karak Hirn clan symbols for their shields and my printer is currently in need of some re-lubrication, so I’ll fix that whenever the solvent arrives in the mail.

2 Likes