The Battles for Prosperity "Campaign"

Prosperity…the homeworld of the Many Sons Havoc Brothers. Once a peaceful place, full of scholars seeking knowledge. Now, a battlefield, a world in flames, an expanse of death and destruction. The Wolf Brothers detachment of Battle Brothers has come hunting.

In the midst of this fighting, the Dwarf Guilds mining warship, Vein of Mithril, has entered the Prosperity system. Interested in the wealth of riches below the surface of the planet, the starship entered orbit and prepared to land scouting parties. It was during these preparations that the dwarves picked up signs of fighting on the surface. Scouting parties were quickly outfitted with heavier weapons and tactically deployed outside the current warzones. The dwarves are hesitant to get involved and seek a neutral stance in the conflict. 

Prosperity burns…

This thread will document a number of battles I fought against AI opponents. The narrative for these battles was inspired by the story of Prospero in Warhammer 40K, albeit with the addition of a dwarven mining guild. 

3 Likes

A Battle Engaged
The dwarves of the Vein of Mithril have come across a battle already being waged between the Many Sons and the Wolf Brothers. Approaching from the Wolf Brothers’ rear, the dwarves are spotted by Wolf Brothers scouts, who turn from pursuing their Havoc foe to face the squat newcomers.

Me - 2000 Points of Dwarf Guilds v2.3

• 1x Guild Lord with Plasma Pistol (12”, A1, AP(2)), Plasma Hammer (A2, AP(2)) and Battle Lore
  • 5x Elites with Heavy Hammers (A2, AP(1))
  • 1x APC with Heavy Machinegun (36”, A3, AP(1)), Hunter Missiles
    (48”, A1, AP(3), Deadly(3)) and Dozer Blade
  • 5x Dwarf Warriors with Assault Rifles (24”, A1), CCWs (A1)
  • 1x Dwarf Trike with Assault Rifle (24”, A1), CCWs (A1),
    Plasma Cannon
    (36”, A1, Blast(3), AP(2))
  • 5x Power Suits with Storm Rifles (24”, A2), Plasma Hammer (A2, AP(3))
  • 1x Dwarf Walker with Twin Heavy Fusion Rifle
    (24”, A2, AP(4), Deadly(6)),
    Drill Hammer (A4, AP(2), Deadly(3)),
    Stomp (A2, AP(1))
  • 1x Engineer with Twin Assault Rifle (24”,A2),
    Assault Rifle (24”,A1),
    CCW (A1) and Combat Bike
  • 3x Sniper Team with Sniper Rifles (36”, A1, AP(1), Sniper), CCWs (A1)
  • 1x Artillery with 2x Twin Shard Mortars
    (48”,A4,Blast(3),Indirect,Rending)
  • 1x Engineer with Assault Rifle (24”, A1), CCW (A1)

AI - 2000 Points of Wolf Brothers v2.8

• 1x Lone Wolf with Pistol (12”, A1),
    CCW (A2)
  • 5x Wolf Brothers with Assault Rifle (24”, A1),
    CCWs (A2)
  • 5x Wolf Brothers with Assault Rifle (24”, A1),
    CCWs (A2) and Jetpacks
  • 5x Prime Brothers with Fusion Rifle (12”,A1,AP(4),Deadly(6)),
    CCWs (A2)
  • 5x Wolf Destroyers with Storm Rifles (24”, A2),
    Energy Swords (A2, AP(1), Rending)
  • 1x Wolf Walker with Frost Cannon (24”, A1, AP(2), Blast(3)),
    Storm Rifle (24”, A2),
    Walker Fist (A4, AP(4)),
    Stomp (A2, AP(1))

Round 1

Three objectives placed. The vehicles with flames on them are counted as terrain. The Wolf Walker, Lone Wolf with Wolf Brothers, and Prime Brothers deploy across from the Engineer on Bike, Dwarf Walker, Artillery, Engineer, Dwarf Warriors, Dwarf Trike, Snipers, and APC. The Wolf Destroyers and Wolf Brothers with Jetpacks are held in Ambush, as are the Dwarf Power Suits. The Dwarf Guild Lord and Elites are in the APC. 

Thanks to the great shooting of the Dwarf Artillery, the Prime Brothers have been taken out, and the Dwarf Walker was responsible for killing the Wolf Walker before it had a chance to activate.

Round 2

Round 3

1 Like

The Hunted Turn Tables
The Disciples of Change, having seen their Wolf Brothers pursuers turn to face a new foe, rally around their Sorcerer. With the triumph of the Dwarf Guilds over the Wolf Brothers, the Disciples of Change push forward to attack the dwarves, hoping to strike a blow that will allow them to escape.

Me - 2000 Points of Dwarf Guilds v2.3

• 1x Guild Lord with Plasma Pistol (12”, A1, AP(2)), Plasma Hammer (A2, AP(2)) and Battle Lore
  • 5x Elites with Heavy Hammers (A2, AP(1))
  • 1x APC with Heavy Machinegun (36”, A3, AP(1)), Hunter Missiles (48”, A1, AP(3), Deadly(3)) and Dozer Blade
  • 5x Dwarf Warriors with Assault Rifles (24”, A1), CCWs (A1)
  • 1x Dwarf Trike with Assault Rifle (24”, A1), CCWs (A1), Plasma Cannon (36”, A1, Blast(3), AP(2))
  • 5x Power Suits with Storm Rifles (24”, A2), Plasma Hammer (A2, AP(3))
  • 1x Dwarf Walker with Twin Heavy Fusion Rifle (24”, A2, AP(4), Deadly(6)),
    Drill Hammer (A4, AP(2), Deadly(3)), Stomp (A2, AP(1))
  • 1x Engineer with Twin Assault Rifle (24”,A2), Assault Rifle (24”,A1), CCW (A1) and Combat Bike
  • 3x Sniper Team with Sniper Rifles (36”, A1, AP(1), Sniper), CCWs (A1)
  • 1x Artillery with 2x Twin Shard Mortars (48”,A4,Blast(3),Indirect,Rending)
  • 1x Engineer with Assault Rifle (24”, A1), CCW (A1)

AI - 2000 Points of Disciples of Change v2.7

• 1x Sorcerer of Change with Assault Rifle (24”, A1), CCW (A1) - Hero, Stealth, Psychic(1), Tough(3)
  • 5x Change Brothers with Assault Rifles (24”, A1), CCWs (A1) - Stealth, 1x Psychic(1)
  • 5x Change Destroyers with Twin Assault Rifles (24”, A2),
    Energy Swords (A2, AP(1), Rending) - Ambush, Stealth, Tough(3), 1x Psychic(1)
  • 5x Havoc Support with 4x Autocannon (48”, A2, AP(2)),
    1x Pistol (12", A1),
    1x Energy Fist (A2, AP(3)),
    4x CCWs (A1) - Relentless, Stealth
  • 1x Infernal Stalker with Bane Flamethrower (18”, A6, AP(1)),
    Maul Cutter (A2, AP(4)),
    Claws (A2, AP(1)),
    Chainsaw-Glaive (A6, AP(1)), Stomp (A2, AP(1)) - Fear, Strider, Tough(12)
  • 1x Havoc Tank with Twin Laser Cannon
    (48”, A2, AP(4), Deadly(3)),
    2x Heavy Machineguns
    (36”, A3, AP(1)) - Fast, Impact(6), Tough(12)

Round 1

Three objectives are placed. The vehicles with flames on them are counted as terrain. The Infernal Stalker, Havoc Tank, Change Brothers with Assault Rifles, Sorcerer of Change, and Havoc Support with Autocannons deploy across from the Dwarf Engineer on Bike, Dwarf Walker, Engineer, Artillery, Dwarf Trike, and APC. The APC contains the Guild Lord, Elites, and Dwarf Warriors. The Dwarf Power Suits and Havoc Change Destroyers are being held in ambush.

At the end of round one, the Dwarf Walker has been pinned, the Dwarf Engineer on Bike has been slain, and very few wounds have been done to the Infernal Stalker and Havoc Tank. I am finding them rather difficult to shoot, though easier than the Havoc infantry, which mostly all has stealth. Tanks being easier to shoot than infantry is new…
On the right side of the field, the APC charged the Sorcerer of Change, then disgorged Dwarf Warriors and the combined squad of Guild Lord and Elites, who helped to take out a portion of the Havoc Support with Autocannons.

Round 2

At the beginning of round two, the Change Destroyers ambush on the left side and the Dwarf Power Suits ambush in the middle.

The Dwarf Walker activates early in the round so as to be able to fight better in combat. The Artillery shells the Change Destroyers, taking out two of them, before they charge the Dwarf Walker, who slays another. On the left, the Sorcerer is slain, along with more of the Havoc Support. Round 2 ends with an even distribution of objectives held and contested by both sides, but the Havoc Tank and Infernal Stalker are pinned.

Round 3

Round three goes fast, as the dwarves clean-up. On the left, the Havoc Support is wiped out, and that objective is taken. In the middle, the Havoc Brothers are shelled by the Artillery, and the Havoc Tank is destroyed by a charge from the Power Suits. The APC fires a well-aimed hunter missile into the Infernal Stalker, ending it. The Dwarf Walker charges the remaining Change Destroyers and wipes them out with swings from its mighty hammer.

The additional psychics that the Change Brothers had did not seem to help them much. The stealth and 2+ defense was incredibly helpful and really made them survivable. With the Infernal Stalker being pinned two turns in a row, and the eventual loss of their Havoc Tank, the strong start for the Disciples of Change quickly turned. Disciples of Change were tabled in three turns.

1 Like

On the Outskirts
Their homes are burning. Their lives have been forever changed - and not in ways that please their god. The Disciples of Change flee the grand cities of their homeworld, leaving behind palaces that are gradually being reduced to rubble by the Wolf Brothers. Here, outside one such city, a detachment of battle brothers has hunted one of the groups of surviving Disciples, and battle is met on the outskirts.

Me - 2000 Points of Havoc Brothers Disciples of Change v2.9

• Sorcerer of Change [1] - Twin Assault Rifle (24”, A2), Energy Hammer (A2, AP(1), Deadly(3)) - Hero, Stealth, Psychic(2), Tough(3)
  • Change Brothers [5] - Hexed Rifles (24”, A1, AP(1)), CCWs (A1) - Stealth, 1x Psychic(1)
  • Havoc Support [5] - 2x Assault Rifle (24"", A1), 3x Autocannon (48”, A2, AP(2)), 5x CCWs (A1) - Relentless, Stealth
  • Change Destroyers [5] - 5x Twin Assault Rifles (24”, A2), 5x Energy Swords (A2, AP(1), Rending) - Ambush, Stealth, Tough(3), 1x Psychic(1)
  • Infernal Stalker [1] - Bane Flamethrower (18”, A6, AP(1)), Maul Cutter (A2, AP(4)), Claws (A2, AP(1)), Chainsaw-Glaive (A6, AP(1)), Stomp (A2, AP(1)) - Fear, Strider, Tough(12)
  • Havoc Tank [1] - Twin Laser Cannon (48”, A2, AP(4), Deadly(3)), 2x Heavy Machineguns (36”, A3, AP(1)) - Fast, Impact(6), Tough(12)

AI - 2000 Points of Battle Brothers v2.10

• Captain [1] - Assault Rifle (24”, A1), Gravity Rifle (18”, A2, Rending), Energy Hammer (A2, AP(1), Deadly(3)) - Fearless, Hero, Relentless, Tough(3), War Chant (Furious)
  • Captain [1] - Assault Rifle (24”, A1), Energy Sword (A2, AP(1), Rending) - Fearless, Hero, Relentless, Tough(3), Advanced Tactics
  • Battle Brothers [5] - 1x Pistol (12”, A1) and CCW (A2), 1x Plasma Rifle (24”, A1, AP(2)), 3x Assault Rifles (24”, A1), 4x CCWs (A1) - Fearless, Medical Training
  • Battle Brothers [5] - 1x Plasma Cannon (36”, A1, Blast(3), AP(2)), 4x Assault Rifles (24”, A1), 5x CCWs (A1) - Fearless
  • Destroyers [5] - 5x Storm Rifles (24”, A2), 5x Energy Fists (A2, AP(3)) - Ambush, Fearless, Tough(3)
  • Attack Walker[1] - Heavy Minigun (24”, A6, AP(1)), Heavy Flamethrower (12”,A6,AP(1)), Walker Fist (A4, AP(4)), Stomp (A2, AP(1)) - Fear, Fearless, Tough(12), Veteran Walker

The scenario is Duel with 2000 points per side. The battlefield - an outpost in a rural area, outside one of the major cities on Prosperity. Trenchworks have been erected around a nearby field. The buildings will count as cover and line of sight blocking. The trenches count as cover for infantry while within them or on opposite sides of them. The fields will count as cover for infantry while within them or on opposite sides of them. The fields are also difficult terrain. Neither trenches nor fields will block line of sight.

A 1 was rolled on a d3 for objectives. I rolled a 3 for placement, and the AI rolled a 4. Objectives were placed:

Deployment
I roll a 6 for deployment, and the AI rolls a 2. We both deploy our forces. I deploy all my units separately. The AI deploys a captain and the two squads of battle brothers together. I keep my Change Destroyers in Ambush, and the AI does the same with their Destroyers.

Round 1
Round 1 was highlighted by several Bolts of Change being thrown by my psychics. My Change Brothers brought down the AI Captain (the one by himself) with a combined round of psychic bolt and Hexed Rifle shooting. My Havoc Support and Havoc Tank dealt enough wounds to the AI Attack Walker to force a morale check, which it passed. At the end of round 1, the AI held one objective, and I held two.

Round 2
We rolled-off for ambush, and I rolled a 5, while the AI rolled a 3. I dropped my Change Destroyers near the objective the AI was holding, and the AI placed theirs near my Havoc Tank.

The AI activated first…and the unit that I most certainly did not want them to activate: their Destroyers. Each armed with Energy Fists, boasting 2 attacks and AP(3)… My Havoc Tank was in danger. …And then this happened (Destroyers hit on 3+):

My Havoc Tank took only 3 wounds…and then failed its Morale test.
My Infernal Stalker charged the AI Attack Walker, Maul Cutter, Chainsaw-Glaive, and Claws swinging. I dealt 4 wounds, it dealt 3 back. The Fear special rules canceled out, and the Attack Walker passed its Morale test.
The AI Attack Walker charged me back, dealing no wounds. My Infernal Stalker dealt exactly 1 wound back, and the Attack Walker passed its Morale test again with 11 wounds.

My Change Destroyers got in a good charge on the Battle Brothers squad and their Captain, which the Battle Brothers avenged with a volley of shots into the heavily-armored Disciples. Coming around the side of a building in time to see some of his Change Destroyers fall, my Sorcerer of Change let loose a successful Inferno at the Battle Brothers, bathing them in the flames of 10 automatic hits with AP(1), which slew four of the remaining Brothers. The Battle Brothers took a Morale test…and rolled a 1, Pinned under the psychic onslaught.
Activating, the Change Brothers’ Psychic casts a successful Bolt of Change to slay the AI Attack Walker. The Change Brothers then all fire into the AI Destroyers, dealing 1 wound, and the Havoc Support follow suit, targeting the AI Destroyers for another 2 wounds.
Round 2 ends with two objectives being contested and me holding the third.

Round 3
Round 3 begins with the AI Destroyers charging my Havoc Tank again, and the tank taking 5 wounds for a total of 8. It passes its Morale check and starts tracking its lasers to pick off some pesky Destroyers.
The Change Destoyers’ Psychic casts a successful Inferno, roasting the remainder of the Battle Brothers squad and their captain, then the Change Destroyers rush toward the other side of the table in an effort to go assist, if needed.
The Havoc Tank, Havoc Support, and Change Brothers focus fire on the AI Destroyers, reducing them to one model remaining.
The round ends with one objective contested and two under my control.

Round 4
In a desperate attempt, the last remaining AI Destroyer charges my Havoc Tank again, smashing its Energy Fist into the side in frustration, dealing a single wound.

The Havoc Tank passes its Morale Test, and the Disciples of Change unleash all their shots upon the lone Destroyer. (In reality, it only took the Havoc Tank activating and firing its Twin Laser Cannon to bring down the Tough(3) Destroyer.)

The Havoc Brothers Disciples of Change win the battle, surviving to fight another day in defense of their planet.

2 Likes

Striking Back
The Many Sons Disciples of Change have received intelligence that an armored division of Battle Brothers reinforcements is moving to reinforce a Wolf Brothers position near one of the farming towns on the outskirts of a major Prosperity city. The lords of the Many Sons have deemed that this presents an opportunity to reduce the numbers of their enemies. Yet…the Many Sons themselves are few, and this may be their undoing.

Me - 3000 Points of Havoc Brothers Disciples of Change v2.9

AI - 4000 Points of Battle Brothers v2.10

Deployment

The table has been set in such a way that it funnels most of the AI Battle Brothers forces through the middle third. Rather than using objectives, the middle third of the Disciples of Change deployment zone will be the objective. This will allow the AI to keep pushing in that direction while fighting.

The Battle Brothers are fully deployed on the field with no units ambushing. In each of the three Attack APCs is the unit of Battle Brothers listed after them in the roster. Of note is that the Attack APC with the Assault Brothers deployed behind the field of crops, allowing the Assault Brothers to completely negate the difficult terrain, thanks to their Jetpacks.

The Disciples of Change do intentionally have a smaller list than the Battle Brothers, made up for by the list being prepared to counter (“ambush”) the Battle Brothers heavy armor. They deploy as normal in their deployment zone, but with the two Daemon Champions of Change and the Change Destroyers being held back for actual Ambush.

Round 1

Despite their stealth and cover, one of the squads of Havoc Support suffered some bad luck and lost four of their members before even activating, though they passed their Morale checks and stood strong. The Havoc Tank and the other squad of Havoc Support focused their fire and took down the Battle Tank covered in Laser Cannons before it had a chance to strike with its deadly beams. The armored division of tanks rolled forward, their machineguns chewing up the remainder of the Havoc Support squad that was visible and striking at the Havoc Tank with their missiles.

As the Battle Brothers disembarked from their Attack APCs to face down the Disciples of Change, they found themselves hampered by the fields of crops, trenchworks, and wreckage of the battlefield. This round 1 did not go well for the Disciples of Change, but perhaps some reinforcements can strengthen them…

Round 2

The two Daemon Champions of Change ambushed perfectly, along with the Change Destroyers. The Change Destroyers struck at the Assault Brothers, but their shots went wild through the crops. The Assault Brothers charged, chainswords and energy weapons blazing, and were repelled by the hulking Destroyers, who mercilessly cut down most of the Assault squad.

The remaining Havoc Support squad, armed with two fusion rifles and a laser cannon, slogged through the crops to bring their deadly weapons to bear on the nearest Attack APCs. All three managed to hit, destroying one Attack APC with fusion rifles and injuring the other. Bullets flew up and down the road, cutting down crops, chewing up the ruined buildings in the surroundings…and the Greater Lord of Change took wing.

His Titanic Volgue raised, psychic powers flashing, the Greater Lord charged the Heavy Battle Tank. Something in the air caused his spell to fizzle, but his great blade dug into the side of the tank, pinning it to the ground and rendering it temporarily inoperable. The Daemon Champions followed his lead, their spears flashing as they charged tanks of their own, stabbing and destroying critical components. One of them took down an Attack APC, while the Havoc Tank stabbed out at the oncoming armor with its laser cannons, completing the destruction of the second Battle Tank.

Round 3

With the beginning of round 3, the Greater Lord of Change rushed the Heavy Battle Tank, bent on bringing its final ruin with psychic abilities and his Titanic Volgue. A Fire Storm raged, consuming part of a squad of Biker Brothers and scalding a nearby Attack APC. The Heavy Battle Tank lurched, heavily injured, but its engine continued to run. A Daemon Champion followed-up with his own attack on the Heavy Battle Tank, finally killing the war machine with its spear, while its Inferno lashed the nearby Attack APC, stopping it in its tracks.

All of the Battle Brothers tanks were now destroyed, and the Disciples of Change mopped up the remaining two Battle Brothers squads and the last Biker Brother, scoring a decisive victory. With the start of round 4, only three members of the last Battle Brother squad lived. They valiantly fired their assault rifles at the Havoc Tank as they ran but were soon cut down by bullets and laser fire.

2 Likes

Hey Spencer,
Great work, love your battle reports! I need to get an AI game sometimes soon again.
Cheers
David

Thanks, David! This game was a lot of fun, though round 1 had me worried about my hopes for victory.

The AI system takes a little getting used to, but after a few games, it becomes easy to remember and speeds things up. I highly recommend it.

Great stuff Spence!

1 Like